This week on Hunter & Craft Radio, Chad McCaffrey & Matthew Castel chat with Luke Willms, Co-Founder of Mbuntu Lifestyle and Assistant Director of the Salama Shield Foundation.
- Growing up, his family spent many years visiting Zimbabwe, Uganda and Kenya while his father, one of the first clinical researchers to identify HIV/AIDS in those regions, studied the virus.
- Father founded Salama SHIELD Foundation in 1992 in an attempt to advance preventative methods for HIV/AIDS.
- After spending five years in Vancouver, he returned to Toronto to broaden the scope of the foundation and tell the story to a wider audience, and begin a number of new business ventures.
- Co-Founder of Mbuntu Lifestyle. Multi venture company focused on:
- Global Travel & Tourism
- African Coffee (Naturally processed Ugandan Arabica)
- Art Importing
- Advisor to Bounde & Bounde Foundation
- Assistant Director of the Salama Shield Foundation
- Mbuntu Lifestyle is a brand built on the East African philosophy, Mbuntu – meaning “I am a product of the people who surround me” or, “I am because we are.”
- Aftermath of a couple failed ideas. Importance of Perseverance and the burning desire to achieve a definite goal.
- Exposing Artists from Africa. Mainly Uganda. Helping them sell their work in North America.
- Spun out of The Salama Shield Foundation and their roots in African culture.
- Core of the business is supporting the African continent and awareness around sustainable change.
- Telling the stories of the African cultures and the future growth of the continent’s peoples.
Entrepreneurs are the New Artists
- Think about Entrepreneurship as creating new thoughts and new ways of being. Not being an ‘Entrepreneur’.
- Creativity comes from growing up with the arts.
- Entrepreneurship is a Collective.
- Great Entrepreneurs ensure they have the best people around them to allow them to do what they do.
- Be a Movement Maker.
- Celebrate the small wins. Build a collection of them.
- Keep a clean workspace. Cultivate a place to think. Form a habit.
- Get away from the crowd. In Luke’s case his sailboat serves as a perfect venue for reflection.
- Meditation can offer many benefits including de-cluttering the mind and improving focus.
- Get to the GYM consistently!
- Visit your parents more and cherish your loved ones.
- Find your Reset Button in order to keep moving forward.
- Think about your day. Daily reflection matters. Try keeping a journal.
Links from this Episode
- Salama Shield Foundation
- Hippo Chase Video (You Tube)
- MBUNTU Lifestyle Video
- Taboo Against Knowing who you are – Alan Watts
- The Wisdom of Insecurity – Alan Watts
- Backbone – David H Wagner
- Untethered Soul – Peter Singer
- Thinking Time
Intro Song: “Moussoulou” by Charles Webster Remix